Wednesday, August 4, 2010

she always wanted to be a blonde




Wednesday is Dr. day at Jeppesen Radiology that means every Wednesday after your treatment you see Dr. Littles. Today he told Mom that she was going to start loosing her hair really soon. Her reply was "oh well that doesn't bother me....it will grow back" Jeneva thought she would help Grandma with a new hairstyle. Little did we know Mom always wanted long luxurious blonde hair.

This week Mom has discovered the funny side of cancer. One day when she went for her treatment they told her to take off her shirt and bra for her treatment...her response was OK but I'm not sure why you need me to do that when I am getting the radiation on my head. The tech apologized to her over and over all the time Mom was cracking up. Then when they put the mask on her nose got caught in the mask and it was pushed up pig style, she laid on the table laughing so hard she was crying. She was laughing so hard she couldn't talk and the poor tech didn't know what was wrong finally when she could talk she told him her nose was stuck and they had a good laugh together. Later in the week she and Dad went to the movie and saw Grown-ups. She is still talking about the guy with the KFC bucket on his head and laughs every time she talks about it. Comedy has always been my coping mechanism and now it seems that it is Mom's too. She thinks Jeni and I are hilarious!

Mom is feeling pretty good. So far she really isn't having any of the side effects from the chemo and radiation that we were so afraid of. We all know that she has a long ways to go but we are really enjoying our times together while she is feeling good. Today she got a prescription for thrush. She has thrush but none of the symptoms so hopefully this antibiotic will kick in before her mouth gets sore.

Tomorrow Hannah has her biopsy. She is scheduled at noon and it should take about 2 hours. She is a little nervous tonight and so is Hayden. He wanted me to assure him that Hannah's surgery wasn't dangerous to her and that nothing would happen to her while she was in surgery. Something good has come out of all of the turmoil in our lives and its that my kids have stopped bickering and have become very good friends. Some nights long after we have gone to bed I can hear them upstairs laughing & talking. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall let me tell you. I can only hope that they will grow up to be as close as me and my sister and brothers.

Thanks again to all Mom's friends for the continuous phone calls, cards, visits & e-mails ( thanks Pam)

Next blog I am going to write about all the ways Mom is turning into my Grandma. Those of you who knew my Grandma will understand and those of you who didn't have the pleasure of knowing Betty Walraven will still be laughing out loud as you read the blog...It's going to be a funny one!

No comments:

Post a Comment