Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Finished with radiation!


Yesterday was Mom's last radiation treatment. Jeni & I wanted to surprise her and celebrate the occasion so we bought balloons and flowers and waited in the lobby for her to come out. Shortly after we arrived one of our favorite nurses Dot came out to see us and let us know "the radiation machine was broke " Now I am pretty sure that is one of the last things you want to hear as you are laying on the table awaiting the beams to penetrate your head. Dot said that the machine was warming up...which was progress from earlier but the technician was coming out to service it. The were rescheduling everyone for later that day but while Mom was there they wanted her to see the Dr one last time. Joanie, our other favorite nurse, came into the lobby and told us to come in the back and surprise her back there so everyone could see. We walked into her room and she was speechless. I think it took her a while to process what was going on. She was not expecting either one of us to be there and with the flowers and balloons she probably thought she won the Publishers Clearing House. After she processed what was happening the tears started flowing...even the staff got teary eyed! The Dr. came in and told us to make sure we take pictures and video of this monumental occasion. Joanie took a video and did a splendid narration of it and she also took pictures. I am so glad the Dr suggested it and that I always have my camera handy! ( That is thanks to a good friend's Mother Carol Buza...she was always taking pictures of us and when we would complain about it she would say "now girls in 25 years you will be glad we did this" ) You know what Carol, 25 years later I am so glad we did it and I am also so glad you taught me the value of a photo opportunity! After our little celebration we went through Mom's discharge instructions. She is weaning off the steroid for the next four weeks and having her vitamin D checked again. They also said that the last few radiation treatments are the strongest and she will have side effects from them for about the next 10 days. For about the last 2 weeks I have noticed that things are becoming more difficult for her. She is having trouble seeing, walking, she shakes a lot and can't climb stairs and has to have help to stand from a sitting position. I called Dr Potts last week and told him my concerns and that we have been testing her sugar and it has been between 360 - 480 everyday. He wanted to see her so I scheduled an appointment for today.



I have to have a difficult conversation with Dad today. Jeni and I both agree that it would be easier for all of us if we got a wheelchair for Mom. I really don't know how Dad will feel about it. Yesterday to conclude our celebration we went out for breakfast. When it was time to leave Mom couldn't stand up. Dad tried to help her but it was like her legs would not work so I took her under one arm and he took her under the other and got her almost standing but she could not support herself so we had to lower her down to the floor. Jeni supported her feet and Dad and I each took her under the arm and together we got her up. Mom felt terrible because she thought she embarrassed us. I walked her outside and told her nothing she did would ever embarrass us and we will always be there to help her! All day I found myself wondering what would have happened if it were just her and Dad at the restaurant.......Dad is strong but it took 3 of us to get her up. I want them to be able to leave the house and not have to worry about Mom falling. Apparently Jeni was thinking about it too and she called me at lunch time and we were both thinking the same thing. I am going to talk to Dad in a few hours...Wish me luck!



The kids had their first day of school yesterday. They both came home happy and neither had homework.....that's a good start to the school year. Hayden started cross country practice yesterday and his leg hurt really bad. Coach and Dr suggested he only run every other day. This is very hard for Hayden. He wants to run so badly but physically can't. Hannah had her last first day of school yesterday! Her next first day will be of college! This time next year I will be the Mother of a college student! OMG!



No comments:

Post a Comment